Recipe by No Spam
I have used packaged coconut instead of the fresh but found a little more liquid was needed. Also the flavor was not quite as good but still passable. Nice toasted for breakfast but watch since it burns easily.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups fresh coconut, finely grated
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- to taste sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in coconut. Combine egg, milk, vanilla and butter.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Pour liquid into the well.
- Stir lightly but thoroughly and pour into 2 greased 8 or 9 inch loaf pans, filling pans about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with sugar.
- Bake at 350 F for about 55 minutes or until they test done.