Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes from the internet website recipeisland.com. [NOTE: On 29 June 2009 I edited the ingredients, changing the pounds & ounces of flour & sugar to cups.]
Top Review by Lalaloula
AWESOME!!!! This recipe is sooooooo delish! The coconut, raisins and vanilla go great together and make for a very, very enjoyable treat! The texture of this bread is light, spongy, fluffy with specks of chewy coconut and fruity raisins. Every bite is delightful!
I made half the recipe baking it in two oven-proof teracotta dishes, which worked out nicely.
Since I didnt want to throw away half an egg, I used the full egg for half the recipe compensating this by reducing the oil by 2 tbs or so. It worked out perfectly.
Syd, this bread even was approved by my mum, who normally does not like what I bake. So THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this true winner with us!
Made and reviewed for Newest Zaar Tag Game December 2010.
- 6 ounces dried fruit (or raisins)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 lb margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1 small coconut, grated (about 2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease two 9-inch loaf pans.
- In a small bowl, add dried fruit & 1/4 cup of the 4 cups of flour, then strain flour into a large bowl, leaving the dried fruit coated with a bit of flour. Set the dried fruit aside.
- In that same large bowl, add the rest of the flour then whisk together the flour, baking powder & salt, before adding the sugar, beaten egg, milk, melted margarine, vanilla extract & coconut milk, whisking to combine well.
- Stir in the grated coconut & dried fruit, blending well. If necessary, knead briefly on a floured surface.
- Cut dough in half & shape each half into loaves, & placing them in the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.