Recipe by MonsterMaha
This is a very tasty and moist cake...I mean, bread! I've posted the recipe as it was given to me, but I make it, I leave out the walnuts and don't make the topping. It's pretty sweet without the topping.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons coconut flavoring
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- For the bread, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. In place of buttermilk, you can mix 1 Tbsp vinegar with 1 cup milk and let it sit 5 minutes before using.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Pour into 1 loaf pan.
- Bake 40 minutes (I always increase the time 5-10 minutes).
- While the bread is baking, make the topping.
- Combine butter, water and sugar into a sauce pan.
- Boil to make a syrup (it didn't say how long, and since I've never made the topping, I don't know either!).
- Add the flavoring at the end.
- When the bread is finished baking, make slits in the top.
- Drizzle syrup over the top to soak inches.