Recipe by momaphet
My adaption of Coconut Bread based on several sources trickling down to SmittenKitchen. She wrote "This loaf, once baked, entirely filled and towered above my 9x5x3 (8-cup) loaf pan, so if yours is smaller, you might want to pour off a little batter into greased muffin tins. The crumb is more coarse than banana bread, and less squishy-moist. Also the texture changes from the dark crust to the tender center that makes this bread excellent toasted with a pat of butter and sprinkling of powdered sugar.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
This recipe was made on 8/20 for the South American portion of the Culinary Quest 2014 . Except for using regular all purpose flour,the recipe as it was written. For just a tad more texture and flavor, the coconut was slightly toasted. And the baking time was " right on the money ". It just didn't rise as high as I had hoped,but other than that it was pretty good. " Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, or
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (plus coconut flour)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 ounces sweetened flaked coconut (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted (or melted and browned, if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Add sugar and coconut, and stir to mix. Make a well in the center, and pour in egg mixture, then stir wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. Add butter, and stir until just smooth — be careful not to overmix.
- Butter and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or coat it with a nonstick spray. Spread batter in pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, anywhere from 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool in pan five minutes, before turning out onto a cooling rack.