Recipe by DangerousWithKnives
From Bill Granger in the Sydney Morning Herald
Top Review by Surfergirl 14
I was after something that tasted like the one they serve at Starbucks here in Oz. This was very close the first time I made it. So for the second time, I used buttermilk rather than "milk", and added an extra 1/2 cup sugar. I think it's yummy! especially toasted and buttered for a treat with a cup of coffee. Friends think so too.
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 150 g shredded coconut
- 75 g unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Lightly whisk eggs, milk and vanilla together. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into another bowl, add sugar and coconut and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre and gradually stir in the egg mixture until just combined.
- Add melted butter and stir until the mixture is just smooth, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into a greased and floured 21 x 10cm loaf tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until bread is cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Leave in the tin to cool for 5 minutes, remove to cool further on a wire rack.
- Serve in thick slices, toasted, buttered and dusted with icing sugar.