Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Moist Coconut Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut, shredded
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Combine flour, bak ing powder, soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Fold in coconuts and walnuts.
- Pour into three PAM sprayed small loaf pans.
- Bake in preheated 300 degree oven on lowest rack for about 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
I actually made this into muffins and a cake. In place of buttermilk, I used coconut water, trying to boost the coconut flavor. The muffins were a wonderful texture, nice and moist, but a bit bland for me, which could be my fault for using the coconut water, I don't know. I will make this again, I think I will toast the coconut first and maybe add some pineapple puree or juice. I can just taste a nice slice with some whipped cream and pineapple on top! Thank you!
5 Stars for taste and texture on the one pan of (12 cavity) mini bundt cake muffins but the 8x4 Loaf Pan took 1-1/2 hours to bake through (it just came out of the oven) with the last 20 minutes, the oven temperature up to 325. It's very dark and crusty on the outside but I expect the inside will be okay. I've made many Quick Bread recipes and while it isn't noted in this recipe, my batter was very lumpy and it was difficult to tell if the flour was completely distributed. I didn't want to overmix, so finally just stopped, leaving it pretty lumpy (before the coconut and nuts were added). The only change I made was to use Pecans instead of Walnuts, as that is all I had. The taste is great, so I'm sure there will be a next time -- I may add orange zest and drizzle with a chocolate glaze too. And definitely, no more loaf pan, just muffins with this recipe!
This was so deliciously moist and perfectly sweetened. I made 1 in a loaf pan, and one in a pie pan, and both turned out perfectly!