Recipe by twissis
We like cabbage & for some time I've been eyeing Sue L's tempting Braised Coconut Cabbage. Thanks to this so easy-to-fix recipe found in the *Carnival Creations* cookbook by Cyrus Marfatia (Exec Chef of Carnival Cruise Lines), I tried a similar version that was served as a side-dish to an orange-glazed Hunan filet of beef -- an unusual combo but I surprisingly found the cabbage more appealing & expect it would work well w/a variety of entrees. (Times were estimated & 10 min allowed for ingredient prep) I hope you enjoy it as I did. :-)
Top Review by Baby Kato
We loved the subtle spicing in this delicious dish. It was wonderful, thick, creamy, tender and flavorful. I used a sweet red onion and green cabbage. I really enjoyed this tasty treat and could have eaten all by myself. Made for CQ3 - Bahamas.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups Chinese cabbage (sliced, but any variety of cabbage will work well)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a med-saucepan, melt margarine over med-high heat. Stir in onion + bay leaves & cook till onion is tender.
- Stir in Chinese cabbage & cook till cabbage begins to wilt. Add coconut milk & cont cooking till cabbage is crisp-tender & milk is reduced. Remove bay leaves.
- Mix cornstarch w/1 tbsp water, stir into cabbage mixture & cook till thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, season w/salt + pepper to taste, stir in green onions & serve immediately w/entree of choice.