Recipe by chia
from today's ny times this recipe is from the minimalist, mark bittman.
Top Review by Dore&Annie'sMama
Hi I was looking for a recipe with cubed beef and coconut. We loved this recipe! While it was cooking, I did my morning cleaning and it was so convenient. I DOUBLED everything. But I didnt use everything. I just had garlic (7 cloves), 2 TBS of CHILI powder and 4 TBS of RICE VINEGAR. I put the paste in my cast iron and cooked the cubed beef in it. then I added a can of coconut cream, and cooked it for an hour. Then I added chopped green onions and added fish sauce and salt for seasoning taste. Great job! and thanks for the Idea.
- 2 hot dried red chilies
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 limes, juice and zest of or 2 tablespoons rice wine or 2 tablespoons other mild vinegar
- 2 tablespoons corn, grapeseed or 2 tablespoons other neutral oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, preferably chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups coconut milk (or 1 can, about 1 1/2 cups, plus 1/2 cup water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chilies, garlic, ginger, chili powder, lime juice and zest in bowl of a food processor, and process until everything is minced, or mince by hand and combine.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet that can later be covered. Add spice paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add beef, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and covered with sauce.
- Pour in coconut milk, and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer, stirring only occasionally (but making sure mixture is simmering very slowly, with just a few bubbles at a time breaking the surface) until meat is extremely tender, at least an hour and possibly closer to 2.
- Uncover and cook until sauce is very thick and caramel-colored, stirring frequently so it does not brown. Season to taste with salt, and serve with white rice.