Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found these cupcakes in a Family Life magazine. They are kind of like a Hostess cupcake only they are white cake with a dab of raspberry in the center and topped with coconut.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 teaspoons seedless raspberry jam
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl mix butter, milk, egg, sugar and extracts.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- Divide up mixture into 10 to 12 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each about 2/3.
- Drop a teaspoon of jam in the center of each cupcake (The jam will sink as the cupcake bakes).
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until done with toothpick test.
- Let cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make icing by beating the butter until fluffy; then add sugar a little at a time, alternating with the cream.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Spread icing on top of cooled cupcakes.
- Immediately dip cupcake top in bowl of coconut, covering the frosting.
- Refrigerate until time to eat.
Refrigerate until ready to eat? We could barely wait for them to cool enough to put the frosting on. These cupcakes are terrific. Makes only 10 (which is a good amount if you don't want 4 kids to "overdose"). They sounded good, but far better than I expected in reality! Highly recommended!
I followed the recipe exactly. The taste was really good, but all the jam ended up on the bottom of the cupcake and when I removed the papers I lost most of the jam.
These were easy to make and good. Everyone wondered how the jam got in the center : )