Recipe by Mille®
Supposedly, this recipe was the winner in the 1996 Alaska State Fair National Best Spam Recipe Contest. I have not tried it, but I am posting the recipe in light of a recent thread about Spam in "Community Discussions – Everything Else".
Top Review by Bethany21
This recipe was extremely salty. I followed the recipe exactly and the batter would not stick to the spam. The batter was soupy. I would recommend not adding any additional water to the batter, that may help. This recipe might work better with shrimp. It was too salty and greasy. The one star is for the dipping sauce. Yummy!
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 6 ounces cold water
- 16 ounces beer, flat
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 (12 ounce) can Spam
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup raspberry sauce or 1 cup raspberry jelly
- 3 tablespoons horseradish sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Open beer and leave at room temperature overnight.
- Chill beer and then add water, oil and eggs.
- Mix just enough to break the egg yokes.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add to liquid ingredients, while stirring slowly.
- Add coconut and stir slowly.
- Prepare deep fryer as directed by manufacturer.
- When oil is ready, dip 1-inch wide strips of Spam in beer batter and deep fry until they float to the surface.
- To make raspberry sauce, combine raspberry syrup or jelly with horseradish sauce in small bowl.
- Dip in raspberry sauce and enjoy.