Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Excellent recipe for slow cooker
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1/4 strips
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste or 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb peeled baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (398 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- In batches, add beef strips and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per batch or until browned on all sides.
- Add onions, garlic, paprika, cumin, cinnamon and curry paste.
- Sauté for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Add potatoes and carrots.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato paste, coconut milk, water and salt; mix well.
- Add to slow cooker; stir to combine with meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, until vegetables are tender and stew is bubbling.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro.