Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a lovely spicy Soup with African overtones.Its one of my Favourites!A Bonus being its so quuick and easy to make.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green chili, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, diced and seeded
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tomatoes, skinned and diced
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped finely
- 3⁄4 cup cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- Sauté onion, pepper ,chilli and garlic in the melted butter until soft but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk and water or stock and simmer on a gentle heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken and rice and simmer until heated through about 2 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve garnished with the coconut and some freshly chopped coriander.
lovely soup - warming and filling. Though I would have said more Central American than African? (i guess Caribbean food has African roots though come to think of it). Chicken seems a little pointless, I left it out and just added different sorts of beans - also think bacon works pretty well in this. I also used a caribbean curry powder mix which has got more cloves and allspice in it, and a squeeze of lime juice,which makes it more aromatic and balances the sweet coconut. Interesting recipe though, thanks for posting!