Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From "The Florida Keys Cookbook", I thought this sounded like a wonderful combination of flavors and textures. Sounds great to go with grilled mahi or a tangy island chicken dish.
- 473.18 ml basmati rice
- 473.18 ml water, for cooking rice
- 396.89 g can coconut milk
- 7.39 ml salt
- 59.14 ml butter
- 118.29 ml diced sweet onion, like Vidalia
- 118.29 ml golden raisin
- 118.29 ml roughly chopped cashews
- kosher sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place rice in a large, nonstick pot. Cover rice with water and, with your hands, agitate the rice, releasing the starch. Pour off the cloudy water then repeat this process until the water is clear. Pour off the water a final time and drain rice in a colander.
- Place drained rice, 2 cups water, coconut milk, and salt in a large pot. Stir to combine. Bring to a fast boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover pot and simmer rice until just tender and liquid is absorbed, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add onions, raisins, and cashews. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- When liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender, fluff rice with a fork.
- Add onion mixture to rice and toss with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Rice can be chilled and refrigerated overnight. Microwave for 3 minutes or until heated through before serving.
- NOTE: Substitute dried cranberries or dried cherries for the raisins for a different flavor boost. Rehydrate them in 1/4-cup warm water and then drain them before using in this recipe.
Loved this rice! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Delicious, simply delicious. We love rice, and this wonderful dish is no exception. It was so tasty, quick and easy to make with lovely, lovely results. Great flavor and textures. The golden raisins and cashews are a great addition to the subtly flavored coconut pilaf. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for Whats on the Menu? Tag Game.
Loved this! I halved the raisins and went heavy on the cashews :) I must have had particularily potent coconut milk because the flavour was spot on for me. Made for ZWT7 (The Hot Pink Ladies)