1/6 Photos of Coconut Basmati Rice Pilaf
From "The Florida Keys Cookbook", I thought this sounded like a wonderful combination of flavors and textures. Sounds great to go with grilled mahi or a tangy island chicken dish.
My Private Note
1/2 cup ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place rice in a large, nonstick pot. Cover rice with water and, with your hands, agitate the rice, releasing the starch. Pour off the cloudy water then repeat this process until the water is clear. Pour off the water a final time and drain rice in a colander.
- 2Place drained rice, 2 cups water, coconut milk, and salt in a large pot. Stir to combine. Bring to a fast boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover pot and simmer rice until just tender and liquid is absorbed, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, melt butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add onions, raisins, and cashews. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- 4When liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender, fluff rice with a fork.
- 5Add onion mixture to rice and toss with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Transfer to a serving bowl.
- 7TO MAKE AHEAD: Rice can be chilled and refrigerated overnight. Microwave for 3 minutes or until heated through before serving.
- 8NOTE: Substitute dried cranberries or dried cherries for the raisins for a different flavor boost. Rehydrate them in 1/4-cup warm water and then drain them before using in this recipe.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Basmati Rice Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.4
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 566.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 33.2 g
- Protein 6.0 g