Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from the "Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home" where they suggest serving this dish with curry.
- 314.66 ml water
- 236.59 ml basmati rice
- 118.29 ml coconut milk
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 cinnamon stick (1-inch)
- 59.14 ml raisins or 59.14 ml currants
- Bring water to the boil.
- While water heats, rinse the rice well.
- When water boils, stir in the rice and all of the remaining ingredients.
- Return to a boil.
- Stir, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take off the heat and allow rice to rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, stir to fluff the rice and serve.
I've been saving this recipe for a long time since I love the flavor of coconut milk. The recipe turned out fine...light and fluffy yellow rice. But I was expecting a lot more coconut milk flavor and even the cinnamon was barely perceptible. Maybe it's because I used light coconut milk...but I was expecting more from this recipe. Not bad, just nothing to make it memorable.
This was yummy. We used lite coconut milk and I added hot pepper flakes instead of the cinnamon and raisins. The rice was sweet and hot at the same time.
Since getting into Thai cooking, I have made this recipe exactly the way it is written numerous times. Rave reviews from guests every time. Thanks for posting!