Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe comes from Vanessa Sherwood at gliving.com. However, I simplify this much further and omit the salt, coconut oil, and use dates instead of the agave and it is still amazing! For me its much healthier and easier that way but I'm leaving all the options here for you to decide what if you want them or not. You can substitute dates for the agave nectar - one large medjool (soaked & blended) for each tablesoon agave. I just keep "date paste" standing by for stuff like this. Since your using so much young thai coconut meat you can always use the water for this delicious & energizing drink: Cucumber Coconut Milk (Raw Vegan) ENJOY!! (Cook time is set time)
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1⁄2 cup shredded dried coconut
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 cups young coconut meat
- 2 -4 tablespoons agave nectar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean)
- 1⁄2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- coconut water (if needed)
- 1 -2 banana, sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- Blend the crust indgredients in a food processor. Add more agave if needed to make crust sticky. Line pie pan with saran wrap and press crust on top or use a tart pan with a removable bottom. Place in freezer while making the filling.
- Blend the pie ingredients, except banana slices, in a blender until smooth. Make sure there is enough liquid to have the ingredients swirling in a vortex. Add coconut water, if needed.
- Take crust out from freezer and place sliced bananas on top of crust. Pour filling on top of bananas. Place in freezer for 3-4 hours to set. Decorate with walnuts, coconut shavings, or banana slices :D.
This was very tasty. The crust was a bit too sweet with the two tbsp. of agave, and it did not quite make enough to cover my 9 inch pie pan. If my pan were smaller, I think it would have been perfect, but if I make it again, I'll increase the amount and use a bit less agave. It seemed more than adequately sticky.
The filling, however, was outstanding and I loved the way the banana flavor complimented it. I used the juice of a whole calamansi instead of lime juice and it really added a nice element. Will make this again!