Recipe by Kate in Katoomba
This is an old Aussie favourite, but tastes so good with the special frosting. My 4 year old doesn't just lick the frosting off, but eats the whole cake ... which makes a change!
Top Review by Lola29
How absolutely georgous! This was sooooooo yummy! My family and work friends loved it! The subtle coconut flavour adds interesting and new character to your usual banana cake. It's incredibly moist, easy and bakes evenly. Yum, yum, yum!
- 90 g desiccated coconut
- 180 ml milk
- 125 g butter
- 220 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300 g self raising flour
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- 60 ml milk, extra
- 60 g butter, softened
- 60 g cream cheese
- 320 g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon passion fruit pulp
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160 centigrade.
- Grease a deep 19cm square cake pan, line base with baking paper.
- Combine coconut and milk in a bowl.
- Let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Beat the butter and the sugar in a bowl with and electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Stir in the sifted flour, then banana, coconut mixture and the extra milk.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the oven for around 50 minutes until cooked when tested.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes, then turn out to cool.
- For the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese in a small bowl with and electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually stir in the icing sugar and the passionfruit pulp.
- Spread cake with the passionfruit frosting.