Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this on the Land O Lakes butter website. It's perfect for a bake sale!
- 1 (18 ounce) box carrot cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans. Set aside.
- Combine cake mix, 1 cup water, banana and eggs in large bowl. Beat as directed on package. Stir in 3/4 cup coconut.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. (Run knife around side of pans before removing.) Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 cups powdered sugar, butter, milk and extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Gradually add remaining powdered sugar, mixing until well blended.
- Place 1 cake layer onto serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Cover with second cake layer; spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- VARIATION: Cake can be baked in a greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Recipe Tip
- To toast coconut, spread coconut into single layer on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350°F, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned.