Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 8 slices French bread (2-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 1 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup salted sweet creamy butter
- 1 ounce rum
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (or whipped cream)
- Praline Rum Syrup.
- Melt butter and add brown sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Add orange juice, rum and Simmer lightly.
- Take off heat when consistency is a thick syrup.
- French Toast.
- Cutting through top crust of each bread slice, make a pocket.
- Carefully spread in a teaspoon apricot jam into each pocket.
- In a pie plate whisk the eggs, then add the milk, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Soak each slice on both sides without becoming heavy and soggy with batter.
- Then dip into coconut flakes pressing lightly on both sides.
- Fry in a lightly oiled preheated pan until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with a dollop of cool whip and drizzle syrup over.