Recipe by QueenQT26
"This delicacy only tastes decadent - the cake is so low in fat, you can afford to splurge by adding coconut and a luxurious sauce." --> This is from either Self or Fitness magazine (sorry, forgot which one)...I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds great. You can easily make it vegan by using egg substitute. (Cooking times are estimates).
- 1 3⁄4 cups egg whites, at room temp (from about 9 large eggs)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup dry unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄3 cup fresh coconut, shavings
- 1 (12 ounce) bag cranberries, fresh or 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen cranberries, and thawed
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites and salt in bowl with an electric mixer on medium until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Add cream of tartar.
- Beat until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Increase speed to high.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time, until whites form soft, glossy peaks.
- Beat in vanilla and lemon juice,.
- In another bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar with flour.
- Sift 1/3 sugar-flour mixture over egg whites; gently but thoroughly fold into batter using a large spatula.
- Repeat twice with remaining sugar-flour mixture.
- Fold in dry coconut in 2 batches.
- Scrape batter into an ungreased 10" angel food tube pan with a removable bottom.
- Smooth top into even layer.
- Bake 35 minutes or until top is lightly browned and cake springs back when you press it.
- Turn pan upside down and rest on the neck of a glass bottle to cool.
- Run a knife against insides of pan to loosen cake; remove pan.
- Loosen cake from bottom of pan; invert onto a plate.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Store at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Boil all ingredients in a medium saucepan 1 minute, until lightly thickened.
- Let cool.
- Cover; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Before serving, sprinkle top of cake with coconut shavings.
- Serve slices with 3 tablespoons sauce.