1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
"This delicacy only tastes decadent - the cake is so low in fat, you can afford to splurge by adding coconut and a luxurious sauce." --> This is from either Self or Fitness magazine (sorry, forgot which one)...I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds great. You can easily make it vegan by using egg substitute. (Cooking times are estimates).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups egg whites, at room temp (from about 9 large eggs)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup dry unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup fresh coconut, shavings
- 2Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 3Beat egg whites and salt in bowl with an electric mixer on medium until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- 4Add cream of tartar.
- 5Beat until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- 6Increase speed to high.
- 7Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time, until whites form soft, glossy peaks.
- 8Beat in vanilla and lemon juice,.
- 9In another bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar with flour.
- 10Sift 1/3 sugar-flour mixture over egg whites; gently but thoroughly fold into batter using a large spatula.
- 11Repeat twice with remaining sugar-flour mixture.
- 12Fold in dry coconut in 2 batches.
- 13Scrape batter into an ungreased 10" angel food tube pan with a removable bottom.
- 14Smooth top into even layer.
- 15Bake 35 minutes or until top is lightly browned and cake springs back when you press it.
- 16Turn pan upside down and rest on the neck of a glass bottle to cool.
- 17Run a knife against insides of pan to loosen cake; remove pan.
- 18Loosen cake from bottom of pan; invert onto a plate.
- 19Cover with plastic wrap.
- 20Store at room temperature or in the fridge.
- 22Boil all ingredients in a medium saucepan 1 minute, until lightly thickened.
- 23Let cool.
- 24Cover; refrigerate 1 hour.
- 25Before serving, sprinkle top of cake with coconut shavings.
- 26Serve slices with 3 tablespoons sauce.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Angel Food Cake
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.6
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 131.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 36.8 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: