The fun with my veggie burger craze continues! Black beans are a versatile, delicious, and nutrient-packed base to make veggie burgers with. I had tropical flavors in mind when I came up with it! You could try a vegan egg-like binder but I found I really needed at least egg whites to bind these.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, shredded (or use 1 tsp dried)
- 1/3 cup diced mango (I use the frozen kind, thawed out)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 egg whites (or 1 whole egg)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I use whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1Rinse and drain the can of beans, or if you prefer to use dried beans, cook 2/3 dry cup of them ahead of time. Rinse and drain the can of chiles. Use 1 whole egg, or separate two eggs, discarding the yolks.
- 2Put everything on the list into your food processor and chop until you reach the desired consistency-- a total puree, or a rougher chop that still has some whole pieces of beans in there.
- 3Scoop the mixture into a bowl and refridgerate for 20-30 minutes, it's okay if it stays in longer.
- 4Form patties with your hands, you'll get 4 large ones or 6 smaller ones (which I prefer because I eat them on English muffins.).
- 5Heat some olive oil on a frying pan, adding more as needed (mine tends to evaporate after a few minutes) to cook each patty for about 6-7 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- 6Serve on your favorite buns/breads with the fixings you like. Salsa and mango chutney are good with these. Even better, mango chutney with pepperjack cheese on a nice multigrain bun!
Browse Our Top Mango Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut and Mango Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.8
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 706.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 9.8 g