Recipe by Girl from India
This is how I make ice cream by hand. Do not have an ice cream maker. Try to use an alumninium tiffin or container as I find that they give the best results when the ice cream is made manually (freeze faster and better). You need to plan for this dish ahead as it takes 24 hours or more depending on when you find the time to beat it. I guess you can make it in an ice cream maker too, but I have no clue on time estimates then. :)
- 2 cups thick coconut milk
- 15 dates, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 200 g fresh cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Churn dates in a food processor with a little coconut milk.
- Dissolve the cornflour in 2 tblsps of coconut milk and set aside.
- Mix the balance coconut milk and sugar in a pan.
- Add the date paste and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the cornflour paste when it comes to a boil.
- Reduce the flame and simmer for 2-3 minutes stirring.
- Keep aside to cool.
- Put the mix in an aluminium vessel and freeze for 6-7 hours or overnight.
- Take it out of the freezer and keep at room temperature.
- Beat cream over ice till light and fluffy.
- Beat the set ice cream too.
- Add the cream to this and mix well.
- Refreeze for 6-7 hours or overnight again.