A vegetarian meal in a bowl. Very easy to make.
Make and share this Coconut and Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 green onions, whites and greens separated and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, deseeded and pounded to a paste
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 limes, juice of
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Saute the green onion whites, red pepper, chilli paste and garlic for 5-8 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add the thyme, curry powder and allspice, then cook for 1 minute more,
- Stir in the tomatoes, then cook for 2 minutes to soften slightly.
- Crumble in the stock cube, then add in all the beans and the coconut milk. Simmer for 10 minutes Turn off the heat and stir in most of the green onion greens, the lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with remaining green onion just before serving.