Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I have been baking this cake for 30 years. My best friend's grandmother had baked it for her when she was a child. It is delicious when topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it makes the best strawberry shortcake that I've ever tasted.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- In large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to shortening mixture.
- Add milk, almond extract and vanilla. Mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into shortening/flour mixture.
- Fold in coconut.
- Spoon into 2 well greased and floured 9 x 5 loaf pans.
- Place in COLD oven. Turn oven to 350° and bake for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Test for doneness by inserting wooden pick in middle of cake.