Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of my favorite ways to doctor french toast. Measurements are approximate, but I definitely find that 1 egg usually = 2 pieces of french toast with regular store bread. If you really need cinnamon in your french toast then by all means...
- 4 slices bread
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- Put Shredded coconut and almonds into a dinner plate, Mix them up a bit, shake the plate lightly to spread them evenly across the plate then sprinkle the sugar on top. Set near the stove.
- Break Eggs into shallow pan (e.g. a glass pie plate). Break each of the yolks with a fork and pour ~1/4 tsp vanilla extract into each yolk. Do the same for the almond extract and mix them up. Pour in the milk and beat it all up until it's nicely combined.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in skillet over medium heat until it ripples.
- Dredge a slice of bread in the egg mixture, then in the coconut mixture and add it to the oil in the pan. Flip when bottom is nicely browned, and brown the other side. Remove to Serving plate and dust with confectioners sugar (a small sieve works well for this). Repeat with second 2 slices of bread.
- Serve with warm maple syrup, fresh squeezed guava, and some mocha java.
Yummy, yummy, yummy! I made this for breakfast this morning and everyone loved it! We enjoyed it so much that we are probably going to have it for dinner tonight! Eeek!!