Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
this is a lovely cake you can make year round, but tastes and looks like spring to me.
- 1 (7 ounce) package almond paste, grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp (8 oz)
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- preheat oven to 325.
- grease and flour a 9" springform pan.
- beat almond paste and sugar on low speed until crumbly.
- add butter, beat on high until mixed.
- add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
- add coconut extract, beat for 3 minutes.
- mix flour, baking powder, salt and coconut in a small bowl.
- add to almond paste mixture.
- add coconut milk, mixing everything together.
- pour into springform pan, bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, unmold, cool completely.
- for frosting, beat cream until frothy. add sugar and beat until it forms firm peaks.
- frost the cake and garnish with coconut.
- you can also split the cake in half to form 2 layers and frost the center, then return layer and frost the top and sides.
This is a wonderful cake, Chia! I made as directed, substituting only almond extract as I did not have coconut extract on hand. I did have a bit of trouble getting the center of the cake to set, so I cooked a bit longer, but the center never really did set. Consequently, the sides did get over done. I did slice the cake in half, layering and frosting the tops only. The amounts of the frosting ingredients will have to be doubled if you want to frost an entire layered cake. The flavor is wonderful and I will definitely make this wonderful cake again! Thanks so much, Chia!