Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A couple of nice wee twists on the good ol' banana bread recipe. My personal preference is to chop the macadamias into big chunks because that and the toasted coconut add lovely texture and flavour to the bread. Serve a la Two Fat Ladies, i.e. slathered with lots of butta.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 vanilla bean, scrapings of
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly grated lemons, zest of
- 1 1⁄3 cups mashed very ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup roughly chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Spread the coconut thinly and evenly on a non-stick cookie sheet and place under a pre-heated broiler until lightly toasted but not burned.
- Set the toasted coconut aside to cool completely while you are preparing the rest of the recipe.
- Into a bowl sift together the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, and the salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter with the sugar, beat in the vanilla, the eggs, 1 at a time, the zest, the banana, and the sour cream.
- Add the flour mixture and beat the batter until it is just combined, and stir in the nuts and the cooled coconut Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan and bake the bread in the middle of a preheated 350° F.
- oven for 40 to 55 minutes, or until a tester or wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool the bread on a rack.
Miller this was GREAT ! Always seem to have ripe bananas around and get tired of the regular banana bread recipes. I made exactly as posted except had to leave out the vanilla bean (am on a tight budget).