Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a traditional Italian tiramisu with the coffee replaced by hot chocolate. The first time I saw tiramisu was at a bakery in Italy. It looked tempting and I assumed it was chocolate. I was so disappointed when I tasted it & realized it was coffee flavored. I have now created a version that tastes as good as it looks. Note - the preparation takes a while, but is not difficult.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons good quality cocoa
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 18 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 12 ounces margherite cookies
- Dissolve cocoa and sugar in 1/2 cup boiling water.
- Mix in 1/2 cup milk and set aside to cool.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until smooth and light colored.
- Beat in marscapone cheese until well mixed.
- Fold in egg whites gently.
- Pour the cocoa mix into a small bowl that's big enough to fit one of the cookies laying flat.
- Take half of the cookies, individually dip them the in cocoa mix and then arrange in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Spread half of the marscapone mixture over the cookies.
- Repeat with the rest of the cookies and then cover with the remaining marscapone mixture.
- Sprinkle a little cocoa powder over the top.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream.
well. I freaked when I realized i was completing the recipe with raw eggs. googled other tiramisu recipes and discovered, yep - that's how it is made. totally skeeved. BUT the end result is soooo delicious!! I wish we could have finished it the 1st night because I didn't dare keep it more than 1 day (that raw egg thing...) i found little 3oz packages of I think the correct cookies that had 12 cookies per package. i used 2 packages & it fit perfectly in a 9x13x2" pan. that's only 6oz cookies vs. the 12oz called for. i made a 2nd 1/2 batch of the cocoa mixture which gave me just enough. I couldn't find mascarpone...groan...so I used a tub of whipped cream cheese & added some heavy whipping cream until it was smooth & silky. it all worked really well....maybe a bit loose but this was my 1st attempt at such a dessert. i don't like tiramisu because of the coffee, either, so i was happy as all get out to try this! what i would do next time is look up how to cook the egg yolks just enough to be 'safe'. this is delicious, silky, not too sweet, just cocoa-ey enough - nothing is overpowering. made for veggie Swap 5/10. :)