Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Decadent chocolate bites with minty filling!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- crushed peppermint candy
- In a medium bowl, sir together flour, sugar, and cocoa powder.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and the cold water.
- Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture.
- Gently knead the dough just until a ball forms.
- If necessary, cover dough with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 36 pieces.
- Press dough pieces onto bottoms and up sides of 1-3/4-inch muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until shells are firm.
- Cool in muffin cups for 5 minutes.
- Remove shells from muffin cups; cool completely.
- Peppermint Filling:.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, marshmallow creme and peppermint extract.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Gradually beat in 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar.
- Beat in 1 tablespoon milk.
- Beat in 1 cup powdered sugar.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in 1 cup powdered sugar.
- If necessary, stir in enough additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a filling of piping consistency.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with an open star tip, pipe Peppermint Cream Filling into shells.
- Sprinkle filling with crushed peppermint candies.
- TO STORE: Layer unfilled shells between pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover.
- Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw shells, if frozen. Fill as directed in Step 3.