Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This bread has so much flavour that you will want to eat it straight from the oven!
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 4 cups rye flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 5 cups white flour (or whole wheat)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- Dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup warm water and sprinkle yeast over, and allow to stand 10 minutes til yeast rises. Stir.
- Add molasses, salt and shortening to the 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water.
- Stir the rye flour and cocoa together, then beat into the molasses mixture.
- Add the dissolved yeast and 1 cup of white flour and beat til dough is smooth.
- Keep adding flour until dough is firm enough to turn onto a floured surface.
- Knead the rest of the flour into it until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm place free from drafts. (approx 2 hours).
- Punch dough down.
- Shape into 2 or 3 loaves and place in well greased loaf pans.
- Allow to rise again 1 hour.
- Bake 375F 35-40 minutes.
- (if you want, add the raisins and walnuts with the flour for a delicious tea bread).