Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a delicious snack cake. It freezes well and packs well - great for lunch boxes, road trips or picnics. The recipe states to bake it in a 9" square pan, but an 11x7" baking dish works just as well.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar. Add eggs; beat until light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Set aside.
- Combine cocoa, 1/3 cup walnuts and remaining sugar.
- Spoon a third of the batter into a greased 9" square baking pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the cocoa mixture.
- Dot with half of the butter.
- Repeat layers; top with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- Yield: 9 servings.
Very light and moist cake that is not overly sweet. I like the layers of chocolate rather than messy frosting on top. Will make this again it is so easy! Made for May 'farm Cooking' with Andi Tag 5/2010.