Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is my all-time favorite treat, which you can find at Liliha Bakery in Kalihi. Although this is not exactly the same as their's (because I'm convinced that nobody will ever get their hands on that beloved recipe), this is a close call. I found this at AlohaWorld. Timing is not exact.
- 1 cup water
- 1 (4 ounce) package butter
- 1 cup flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 (8 ounce) packets Dream Whip topping mix
- 2 (6 ounce) boxes instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 3⁄4 cups cold milk
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Chantilly Frosting:.
- Combine milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla.
- Cook stirring constantly, over medium heat for 12 minutes, until mixture thickens.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Chill 1 hour covered with a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface for proper spreading consistency.
- For Filling:.
- Combine all ingredients and beat with an electric mixer for 6-7 minutes on highest speed.
- For Choux:.
- Boil water and block of butter.
- Remove from heat, dump in flour.
- Stir until ball of dough forms and pulls away form the sides of saucepan.
- Mix in eggs one at a time, beat for 1 minute before adding the next.
- Scoop onto foiled cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then lower heat to 325 degrees for 30-35 minute (Puffs should look dry. They should peel off the foil and tip over when nudged gently with a wooden spoon.)
- Cool and cut off tops with a serrated knife. Fill, put back tops, and sprinkle w/10x sugar, or frost with chantilly frosting.
- * To fill without cutting off the tops, spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Poke the tip trough the choux puff and squeeze the bag to fill the puff.