Good use for all that cookie dough we buy for fund raisers! Has nuts though, for you allergic people, and the 3 hours of refrigeration time is not included in prep time.
- Divide dough in half.
- Knead the pistachio pudding, chopped pistachio nuts and green food coloring into one half.
- Shape into a small rectangle.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Into the remaining dough, knead the cocoa powder and the brown sugar.
- Shape into a small rectangle, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Roll out the pistachio dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper to a 12x8 inch rectangle.
- Repeat with chocolate dough, straightening edges with a ruler.
- Remove top sheet of waxed paper from chocolate dough.
- Remove the top and bottom sheets of waxed paper from pistachio dough and place it on top of chocolate dough leaving a 1/4-inch edge of chocolate showing on one long side.
- Starting with a long side, roll up doughs, jelly-roll fashion, using the bottom waxed paper as a guide and removing paper as you roll.
- Roll spirals as tightly as possible.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cut dough into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheets and cool completely on a wire rack.
I tried this with cheesecake pudding mix as I am allergic to almonds. They looked really pretty going into the oven, but I had a hard time telling if the cookies were done. They seemed really soft even as they started to brown slightly. If I make this again I will know to pull them early even if they seem too soft as once they browned they did not look as nice. They tasted pretty bland too although it might be due to the pudding mix I used.
These are so much fun and taste great! I'd seen this recipe in a Womans Day magazine while in a waiting room and not wanting to take their copy I came here, searched and found it! They're a bit time consuming, but the end result is worth it! When I seperated the dough to add ingredients to it I used a quart size zip-lock because I didn't want green hands from the food coloring and it worked well! I'm already thinking ahead to other colors and additions for various holidays! So glad you posted this, thank you!