Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
This version of pecan pie includes cocoa, which darkens the color, adds complexity to the flavor and hints at even greater indulgence without, miraculously, adding fat.
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, , thawed
- Heat oven to 375 deg F.
- Spray 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, graham cracker crumbs and sugar; mix well.
- Add margarine; mix well.
- Press firmly in bottom and up sides of sprayed pie pan.
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar and cocoa; mix well.
- Aded all remaining filling ingredients except pecans (corn syrup to egg whites); stir until smooth.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake at 375 deg F for 28 to 38 minutes or until center is puffed and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until serving time.
- To serve, spoon or pipe whipped topping around edge of pie.