Recipe by Wish I Could Cook
Not only does Inn Serendipity feature hearty vegetarian breakfasts (and bedside cordials in the evening), but the owners try to meet any special dietary needs, especially those of vegans. Their vegan cocoa pancakes are among the recipes most requested by vegans and nonvegans alike. Makes 18 to 20 pancakes. Published in Vegetarian Times, May 2005
Top Review by KateL
Effortless and superb. The chocolate taste was intense even with milk chocolate chips. The maple syrup gilded the lily; certainly no butter was needed. Two pancakes were plenty for me; DH was stuffed with 4 pancakes. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I will be sure to serve these to overnight guests. Made for Veg'n Swap 13.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate soymilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into mixing bowl. Whisk in chocolate soymilk and oil until just combined. Stir in vanilla extract. Let batter sit 5 minutes before cooking.
- Spray large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. When hot, ladle on 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Sprinkle pancakes with several chocolate chips. Cook 2 minutes, and turn when tops begin to bubble and edges start to look dry. Cook 2 minutes more, and remove to plate. Serve with maple syrup or vanilla soy yogurt and fresh fruit.