Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Not only does Inn Serendipity feature hearty vegetarian breakfasts (and bedside cordials in the evening), but the owners try to meet any special dietary needs, especially those of vegans. Their vegan cocoa pancakes are among the recipes most requested by vegans and nonvegans alike. Makes 18 to 20 pancakes. Published in Vegetarian Times, May 2005
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate soymilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Sift flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into mixing bowl. Whisk in chocolate soymilk and oil until just combined. Stir in vanilla extract. Let batter sit 5 minutes before cooking.
- Spray large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. When hot, ladle on 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Sprinkle pancakes with several chocolate chips. Cook 2 minutes, and turn when tops begin to bubble and edges start to look dry. Cook 2 minutes more, and remove to plate. Serve with maple syrup or vanilla soy yogurt and fresh fruit.
Effortless and superb. The chocolate taste was intense even with milk chocolate chips. The maple syrup gilded the lily; certainly no butter was needed. Two pancakes were plenty for me; DH was stuffed with 4 pancakes. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I will be sure to serve these to overnight guests. Made for Veg'n Swap 13.
What a winner of a recipe! Loved these and so did my sis! :) They have an intense chocolate flavour and are sooooooo moreish! YUM!
The batter is thin, but makes for soft and fluffy pancakes that can be rolled to hold fillings, too. I think banana would be the perfect match.
I used half carob powder as I dont like the taste of cocoa powder that much and since thats all I had I used a vanilla rice milk. It worked out beautifully.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this great recipe with us, WICC!
Made and reviewed for Adopt a Veggie Tag January 2011.
Yum! I made ours differently to be healthier but stuck to the basic idea. I had pancake mix already mixed up in the refrigerator from the day before. I just added alcohol free vanilla and cocao powder instead of cocoa powder as that is what I had on hand. I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips which are soy free. Served them with organic unhomogenised yogurt, sliced organic banana and home-made chocolate sauce made by melting chocolate chips on a low temperature and adding a little water after melted and stirring until smooth. Made for Veggie Swap # 57 ~ April 2013 ~