Recipe by Chocolatl
Inspired by a suggestion from my son. I make these small because they are very rich. Times do not include chilling time or cooling time.
COCOA SHORTBREAD COOKIES
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
LIME BROWNED BUTTER FILLING
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour and cocoa together.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour mixture.
- Using your hands, form the dough into two logs about 1 inch in diameter.
- Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for approximately 1 hour, or until firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Unwrap each log and cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are firm but not browned.
- Cool for 1 minute on baking sheets, then remove and place on racks. Cool completely.
- To make filling, place butter in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until melted.
- Continue to heat, stirring occasionally, until butter just begins to brown.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Stir powdered sugar and lime juice into melted butter.
- Spread filling on half the cookies. Top each with an unfrosted cookie and press down gently.