Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this recipe from Lickety Split Cookbook by Zonya Fuco. SO EASY, SO YUMMY, and only 20 calories EACH. They are molten little centers in a slightly crunchy shell that are VERY sweet, so they satisfy immediately with just one or two. I just made a batch for Christmas gifts and will now make a second (and maybe a third!) batch for us at home!!! Just be aware that they are VERY fragile when removing from waxed paper. (Those are the ones I sampled! LOL!!!) They also can be frozen for those "chocolate craving" moments!
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Whip egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup of the sugar to the egg whites while constantly whipping.
- Combine water and vanilla in a cup.
- Add to mixture, a few drops at a time, alternating with the remaining sugar, whipping all the time.
- Sift cocoa powder and FOLD completely into mix.
- Drop bite-sized rounded teaspoons of batter onto waxed paper-lined sheets.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes . They will retain their shape.
- Remove while still hot to a wire rack to cool and then place in airtight container.