Recipe by Leslie in Texas
These are irresistable little nuggets of crunchy chocolate air containing about 10 calories each. From a December 1987 Bon Appetit featuring Wholesome Holiday Cookies.
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
- Lightly oil 2 nonstick cookie sheets.
- Beat whites at medium speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar ,1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until whites are stiff and shiny but not dry.
- Sift cocoa, cornstarch, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar together.
- Sprinkle half of mixture over whites;using rubber spatula, gently fold in just until blended.
- Repeat,folding in remaining cocoa mixture, then pecans.
- Spoon mixture into pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch star tip.
- Pipe mixture onto prepared sheets into 1-to 1 1/2-inch rounds (or drop by teaspoonfuls).
- Bake cookies until set, about 35 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Using spatula, gently transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
- Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.