Recipe by PanNan
I'm posting this recipe for the World Tour 2005 RecipeZaar event. This recipe looked so good to me. It's from The Hadassah Jewish Holiday Cookbook - a collection of traditional recipes from contemporary kosher kitchens.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, less 1 tbsp
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch nutmeg (hefty pinch)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice (or orange juice, or water)
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 F, and lightly grease 8 X 4 loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with greased parchment paper.
- Whisk flour with cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Place beaten eggs in another bowl, and add sugar and honey, beating until smooth and light in color. Gradually beat in oil until blended. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture alternating with juice (or water).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and top with sliced almonds.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until pick comes out clean after inserting in center of the cake.
- Cool 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack and peel off paper.
- Wrap in plastic when completely cool, then in foil.