Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I'm posting this recipe for the World Tour 2005 RecipeZaar event. This recipe looked so good to me. It's from The Hadassah Jewish Holiday Cookbook - a collection of traditional recipes from contemporary kosher kitchens.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, less 1 tbsp
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch nutmeg (hefty pinch)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice (or orange juice, or water)
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 F, and lightly grease 8 X 4 loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with greased parchment paper.
- Whisk flour with cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Place beaten eggs in another bowl, and add sugar and honey, beating until smooth and light in color. Gradually beat in oil until blended. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture alternating with juice (or water).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and top with sliced almonds.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until pick comes out clean after inserting in center of the cake.
- Cool 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack and peel off paper.
- Wrap in plastic when completely cool, then in foil.
This had a pretty good flavor. Unfortunately, it was a bit dry. Thanks for sharing, but I doubt I'll make it again....
T'is the season for honey cake and this is the winner this year as far as I and my family are concerned - the chocolate adds a nice edge to the honey. I baked it at 350 F, and shut off the oven after 50 minutes leaving the cake inside because it was not yet all done (toothpick test). It turned into a beautiful, irresistible loaf.
Im very sorry but I have to give this a bad review.....I hate doing this. The cake took like 70 mins to be fully baked, and by then, the top was burnt and rock hard. My oven thermometer showed that there was no problem with the temperature....I managed to salvage about half the cake. There is an extremely strong honey taste, hardly any cocoa taste at all. Once again, im very sorry!