Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is such a wonderful twist on holiday gingerbread cookies! I cut these out with cookie cutters and dust them lightly with powdered sugar after removing them from the cookie sheet after baking. Can also be decorated with decorator icing. I believe the recipe is from a Land O' Lakes grocery store impulse buy cookbook that my mom picked up one holiday season.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter, shortening, brown sugar and molasses in a large bowl.
- Add egg; beat until light.
- Ina separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves.
- Blend into creamed mixture until smooth.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out with cookie cutters.
- Place 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until firm.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Decorator Icing: Combine 4 c powdered sugar and 2 T milk in a large bowl. Mix until smooth. Add 1 tsp almond or lemon extract. Mix well. Add milk is necessary until smooth and glossy.