Recipe by RenMyr
Another yummy cake from the 1974 Betty Crocker cookbook. Have made this many times. And always so good!
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs (1/3 to 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour, may be used (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour baking pan.
- 13x9x2 or 2 round layer pans, 8 or 9x1 1/2 inches.
- Measure all ingredients into mixing bowl.
- Blend 1/2 minute on low speed blending constantly.
- Beat 3 minutes on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan(s).
- Bake oblong 35 to 40 minutes, layers 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Can frost with your favorite frosting if desired.