Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 3 dozen cookies.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 1⁄2 cup solid shortening (Crisco)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, cocoa powder and then walnuts - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- COCOA DROPS COOKIES GIFT TAG:.
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 1/2 cup solid shortening (Crisco), 1/2 cup milk, 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, blend the shortening, milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the contents of the jar, and stir until well mixed.
- Drop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are light brown in color.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
I made these over the holidays as gifts and tried a batch out myself - they turned out wonderful. Very easy to follow directions and great taste!
I followed the recipe exactly, only omitting the walnuts. These cookies came out horribly dry and bland. Husband hated them, and we threw the entire batch into the trash.
these cookies are so good they was moist and held there shape very well and the taste was very yummy