Recipe by Doglover61(aka Earnhardt)
My mom made these when I was a kid and we all loved them. They're good plain, or with a simple powdered sugar icing on top. They are really great with a cold glass of milk!!
Top Review by gingerly88
I have the Betty Crocker's cooky book from 1963 and was looking at this recipe. I was undecided if I should make it. Searched for it here and saw the good reviews and decided to give it a whirl. I am so glad I did! These are great cookies! I used the butter flavored Crisco sticks. Subbed about 3 TBS of butter and I only had 1/2 c of white sugar so I added 1/2 c of brown. Not sure how different this made the flavor, but they were great!<br/>I frosted them with a mocha buttercream frosting and chopped pecans. Thanks for posting!
- 1⁄2 cup soft shortening (part butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix shortening, sugar and egg.
- Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients and stir into buttermilk mixture.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons on lightly greased cookie sheet; about 2" apart.
- Bake at 400° just until almost no imprint remains when lightly touched.