Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an awesome cream covered and cream filled chocolate cake roll. Got this out of my old, old recipe box. I remember making it long ago and it is delicious. Great for the holidays!
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup ground nuts
- Grease a 15x10x1 inch pan lightly and line with aluminum foil; grease foil.
- Sift flour, powder, salt and cocoa together.
- Beat eggs in large bowl until very thick and lemon colored.
- Beat in granulated sugar gradually.
- Blend in water and 1 tsp vanilla at low speed.
- Mix in sifted dry ingredients slowly.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 375* for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly.
- Sprinkle a clean dish towel with confectioners' sugar.
- Carefully turn out cake onto towel; gently peel off foil.
- Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel together.
- Place on rack to cool.
- Combine cream, rum, 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tsp vanilla.
- Whip until stiff.
- Unroll cooled cake roll and spread evenly with about 2/3 of cream mixture.
- Carefully roll up cake and cream and place on a serving plate.
- Frost with remaining cream mixture.
- Sprinkle with ground nuts.
- Chill until serving.