Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Hershey's Cookbook. This is a family favorite at Christmas and Thanksgiving. I usually top it with merangue instead of whipped cream, but it is delicious either way!
- 8 inches pastry shells, baked
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa, Hershey's
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sweetened whipped cream
- strawberry, halved (optional)
- Prepare pastry shell; cool.
- In medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Boil 1 minutes; remove from heat.
- Gradually stir about half of the hot filling into yolks.
- Return all to saucepan; bring to gentle boil.
- Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Press plastic wrap directly onto surface.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Garnish with whipped cream and strawberries, if desired.
Thanks for posting this incredibly easy recipe. I love that I could whip up something this special from ordinary ingredients that I keep on hand. I loved it and so did my husband and daughter! I'll save this one to make again when we want chocolate pie. I followed the directions exactly except for the whipped cream and strawberries. I'm sure those would be nice additions but we had the pie both without topping and with a little Coolwhip on top. YUM!