Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From a Food and Wine article, courtesy of Meg Ray and Caitlin Alissa Williams.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup creme fraiche, at room temperature and stirred until runny, plus more
- creme fraiche, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups.
- Put 4 additional foil cups on a small baking sheet.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- At medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating until each one is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Add the vanilla.
- At low speed, alternately beat in the dry ingredients and the 3/4 cup of crème fraîche in 2 batches.
- Spoon the batter into the foil cups, filling each one two-thirds full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes, or until springy when gently pressed and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly, then remove from the pan.
- Place a dollop of crème fraîche on each cupcake and serve.