Chef #775060's Note:
I haven't tried it, but I sure would like to! The Grit is consistently fabulous with desserts, so this recipe should not be a disappointment.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon whole milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2Preheat oven to 350. Grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans, dust with flour, and line bottom with parchment or wax paper.
- 3Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- 4Blend milk, oil, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
- 5In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating after each addition just until smooth. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
- 7Bake 25 minutes or just until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center of layers comes out clean. Remove from oven, cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pans and allow layers to cool completely before icing.
- 9Combine chocolate chips and condensed milk in saucepan over gentle heat and stir continuously until chocolate has melted completely. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Add coconut, stir until combined, and allow icing to cool slightly. Frost between layers, and top and sides of cake before icing has completely cooled.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cocoa Coconut Cake from the Grit, Athens, Ga
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1023.0
- Calories from Fat 514
- Total Fat 57.2 g
- Saturated Fat 35.5 g
- Cholesterol 157.0 mg
- Sodium 593.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 126.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 95.4 g
- Protein 13.4 g