Recipe by Mrs Goodall
I adopted this recipe 9/06. It is incredible. The great reviews are not misleading. I don't get why the instructions tell you to trim the cake. I just chilled the cake for a bit and then spread the frosting on the sides of the cake. This will be my main chocolate cake from now on. I didn't take a great picture of the cake, but the one I took gives you a hint of how much I loved this cake. I didn't share it, I just got a fork and ate it for 3 days right off of the platter. The original description follows..... This is a super chocolatey buttermilk cake and icing. Very easy to make. This cake is "the" employee comfort food at the catering company where I work.
Top Review by Bogey'sMom
I was in need of "baking therapy" this morning, so I started with this. The batter alone deserves 10 stars. The cake is more like 15 stars. Can't wait for my husband to get home and try it. I'm sure he'll tell the kids his usual "this cake has something wrong with it - no one should eat any of it - don't touch it kids".
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 1⁄2 ounces buttermilk
- 7 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and line with parchment a 9 x 13 cake pan Melt butter, stir in water and cocoa and whisk until smooth.
- set aside.
- sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whick together eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add cocoa mixture and buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients.
- Combine very well.
- Pour into cake pan and bake until skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes while making icing.
- ICING: Melt butter, add buttermilk and cocoa.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Put powdered sugar into a food processor.
- With motor running, pour cocoa mixture through feed tube.
- Do not over process.
- Put a platter over the cake pan, flip over so that the cake comes out onto the platter.
- Remove parchment Pour icing over the top of cake and spread evenly over cake to the edges using an offset spatula.
- Do not worry if some goes over the sides.
- Refrigerate cake for 2 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and with a serrated knife, trim all 4 sides of the cake about 1/4 inch.
- Cut into pieces to serve.