Top Review by muncheechee
Ahhhh, Alton Brown's recipe. I was looking to see if anyone had posted this yet. This makes the best brownies ever... rich dark chocolate flavor and dense velvety texture. Sifting everything gives it that wonderful smooth fudge-like quality. After the initial 45 minutes I added baking time in 5 minute increments until the toothpick came out mostly clean - probably an additional 15 to 20 minutes later. Soooo good! These stayed very moist during storage in the fridge for several days too. Thanks for posting!
- soft butter, for greasing the pan
- flour, for dusting the buttered pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, sifted
- 1 cup brown sugar, sifted
- 8 ounces melted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups cocoa, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan.
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow.
- Add both sugars.
- Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean.
- When it's done, remove to a rack to cool.
- Resist the temptation to cut into it until it's mostly cool.