20 Reviews

  • Most Helpful
  • Newest
  • Highest Rating

good brownie with ingredients that you always find in your cuppboard

1 person found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
kkatushka February 18, 2011

I've been searching for years for that perfect brownie-from-scratch recipe. (You know the one, the kind that is in between fudgy and cakey with the shiny brown top that slightly crackles when you bite into it). And there is nothing to say about this brownie other than: THIS IS IT. Perfection.

1 person found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Vels October 18, 2007

I followed the mixing directions exactly, the batter is almost like mayonnaise if you beat it right. As soon as the edges came away from the sides of the pan I took them out of the oven, varies between 21 and 24 minutes. They are chewy and fudgy. Family loved them. Thanks.

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Joyeanne September 17, 2012

These were great! I put toasted slivered almonds on top as I took it out of the oven. I put a big dent in them already. I better put them away-

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Chef Slow Joe December 20, 2009

this satisfies my pregnant mama gotta have chocolate cravings every time!! I automatically added a little milk thanks to the comments =) Winner !!!

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
SouthernFriedMama November 20, 2009

These were really good! I swirled in some peanut butter as well <3 yum and SO easy! Thanks!

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
J'adore Dior March 09, 2009

Worked great for me! I also found the batter a little dry, so added 2 tablespoons coffee (and sprinkled the top with pecans and chocolate chips... mmmmm...)

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
coolmanh January 11, 2009

I am sorry to say I didn't love these. I guess I was expecting a stronger brownie flavor, as I am used to the box mixes. This tasted heavily of cocoa powder and while everyone else said they were okay they didn't do it for me. Thanks for the recipe anyway.

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Raspberri_Skies October 28, 2007

Here's what makes these brownies great...the fact that they are EASY and FAST and many ingredients can be substituted to make this, actually, almost healthy. For example: I used 1/2 of the oil as olive oil and one half as applesause, as suggested by another poster. Don't think anyone would notice this at all. Used slightly less sugar...I just didn't fill the cups up all the way so I couldn't say how much less I used, but it was neglible, I'm sure. Used 90% whole wheat flour with the other 10% of the flour being spelt flour. All organic. Did not add nuts. The brownies cooked fast in a gentle heat, were farily easy to tell when done (no jiggling middle) but not overcooked, and did have a very "fudgy" texture as everyone promised. Oh, and I didn't have to add any milk or other liquid to the batter. Maybe because I used applesause for part of the oil? Anyways the consistancy was JUST RIGHT! Cut up very nicely, even when hot. Really brownie-esque presentation as well. Here is why the recipe DID NOT work for me: The taste was WAAAAY lacking. It tasted very very bland. The chocolate didn't "pop" (though it likely would have with the addition of cinnamon or clove or, of course, a very fudgy icing or maybe powdered sugar. And I didn't use either) and the taste was even worse hot. Cooled down, there were some subleties there, but it reminded me of eating playdough a bit. Not a ton. But a bit. It's THE PERFECT recipe for a bunch of friends or college kids wanting a "sleep over snack" (when made a bit healthier, though) and can definately be jazzed up, but as is...well, it just does not stand on it's own so well. It can do it. But not well. Also, there wasn't much of a smell. All that being said... IF I were having a horrible chocolate craving and IF I didn't have much in the pantry and/or was short on time and IF I had something to top them with then I would make these again. But IF I wanted a really tasty brownie that was worth writing home about... Well... anything's good with icing, right? :)

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
Food Snob in Israel September 20, 2007

Very good brownies! I used one cup of Splenda and 1/3 cup of sugar. I too used half whole wheat pastry flour and half all-purpose flour. The recipe was easy to follow and we had good tasting brownies in a short while. Great with a cup of coffee! Thanks, Carole in Orlando

0 people found this helpful. Was it helpful to you? [Yes] [No]
carole in orlando August 16, 2007
Cocoa Brownies